Beverly Hills Office
9025 Wilshire Blvd Suite 202
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
Temecula / San Diego Office
40963 Winchester Road
Temecula, CA 92591
Rancho Cucamonga Office
8916 San Bernadino Rd #110
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
Chemical Peels - the Procedure and Rewards
Dr. Kincaid - Inland Empire, Temecula, San Diego Plastic Surgeon
Chemical Peel Information provided by Board Certified Plastic Surgeon serving San Diego and Riverside County.
Inland Empire specialist, Dr. Stuart Kincaid is committed to helping each of his patients achieve their desired cosmetic enhancements. Please read the paragraphs below to learn more about the chemical peels procedures and the associated rewards of these non-surgical treatments.
Chemical Skin Peel: Deep (Phenol) Peel
A deep chemical skin peel, or phenol peel, is the strongest of chemical peels, and is reserved for individuals with deep wrinkles from sun exposure or is used to treat skin wrinkling around the lips and chin area. The procedure diminishes imperfections in sun-damaged, unevenly pigmented, or coarsely wrinkled facial areas by peeling away the skin's top layers.
A full-face deep chemical peel takes 1 to 2 hours to perform. A more limited procedure (such as treatment of wrinkling above the lip) will generally take less than a half-hour. A solution is applied to the area to be treated (avoiding the eyes, brows and lips). There is a slight burning sensation, but it is minimal since the solution also acts as an anesthetic. After the peel solution has worked on the skin, it is neutralized with water. Approximately one hour later, a thick coating of petroleum jelly is layered over the patient's face, covering the protective crust which develops rapidly over the area. This stays in place for 1 to 2 days. In an alternative technique, the patient's face is covered by a "mask," composed of strips of adhesive tape, with openings for the eyes and mouth (this is particularly effective in cases of severe wrinkling).
Some patients experience discomfort after a deep chemical peel, but this can be controlled with medication. A few days after the procedure, new skin with a bright pink color akin to sunburn will emerge; the pinkness will fade within a few days. Post-operative puffiness will also subside in a few days, but the skin will remain sensitive. Patients should avoid exposure to sunlight and continue to use sun block.
- Effects of a phenol chemical peel are long lasting, and in some cases are still readily apparent up to 20 years following the procedure. Improvements in the patient's skin can be quite dramatic.
- Normal work schedule and other activities can be resumed after 1 to 2 weeks.
- Variants in the phenol peel formula can create a milder solution for broader use.
- Possible postoperative complications can include scarring, infection or abnormal pigmentation. Tends to have a bleaching effect, and patient may need to wear make-up to match treated and untreated areas.
- EKG monitoring is advised.
- Cannot be used on the neck or other parts of the patient's body.
- Not as effective in treating individuals with dark, oily complexions.
- Some facial skin disorders do not respond to chemical peeling.
- Skin pores may appear larger, and the skin may not tan properly.
- Can activate latent cold sore infections.
- All forms of deep skin peels include the risk of delayed healing and scarring.
The effectiveness of phenol chemical peeling has been proven in clinical studies over the last 30 years. Because they are serious procedures, it is ASAPS' position that phenol chemical peels should only be performed under the direction of a qualified physician.
Dr. Kincaid performs numerous other procedures in addition to non-surgical chemical peels. He is a highly regarded Temecula breast augmentation, facelift, tummy tuck, liposuction and rhinoplasty surgeon.
For chemical peels in Inland Empire choose Stuart Kincaid.
For more information visit The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) and The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).
Procedure Information Courtesy of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery